1. Some people in Switzerland still eat dog and cat meat. It’s legal in this country.
2. Women got the right to vote in Switzerland in 1971.
3. It is the second longest living country in the world with an average life span of 83.4 years.
4. The Swiss have more weapons than the Iraqis.
5. The longest tunnel in the world is 57 km long. It goes from Switzerland to Italy under the Alps. It took 17 years to build.
6. There were no oranges in Florida before geographical discoveries, no bananas in Ecuador. No potatoes in Ireland, no coffee in Colombia, no pineapple in Hawaii, no rubber trees in Africa. Furthermore, there was no tomato in Italy. And there was no chocolate in Switzerland.
7. The “Büsingen am Hochrhein” known as Büsingen is a German city surrounded by the Swiss region.
8. In Latin, Confoederatio Helvetica is the official name of Switzerland. Therefore, the abbreviation of Switzerland is CH.
9. Switzerland has enough underground bunker capacity to hide the entire population in case of a nuclear war.
10. Switzerland provides its citizens with CO2-friendly electricity. Furthermore, Switzerland generates 39% of the electricity from nuclear power plants and 56% from hydroelectric power plants.
11. Lawyers represent the animals in Swiss courts. Once upon a time, a fisherman had been subjected to a very long investigation because he had caught a pike.
12. In Switzerland, 23% of the population is foreign people.
13. The divorce rate in Switzerland is about 43%.
14. The only part of the famous Swiss knife that Switzerland doesn’t make, is the “corkscrew” part. They import this part from Japan.
15. Swiss chocolate makers Peter and Henri Nestlé invented milk chocolate in 1875.
16. The Swiss Jean Henri Dunant is the first writer who won the first Nobel Peace Prize in 1901.
17. For 190 years, Switzerland has become a country that maintains its neutrality during wars.
18. In Switzerland, there are more banks than dentists.
19. Switzerland has the lowest crime rate in the world.
20. In Switzerland, highways can be turned into a runway by removing barriers in case of a war.
21. In Switzerland, traffic fines are according to income.
22. Switzerland is the only country directly ruled by democracy in the world.
23. In 1802, the Swiss had a civil war named “Stecklikrieg”. If this civil war is interesting, it is because the war was only made with sticks because Napoleon took all the weapons in the country.
2 1 1