Colors and the Meaning of the Kuwait Flag
The flag of Kuwait was designed on September 7, 1961, and was first launched on November 24, 1961.
Consisting of three horizontal strips of equal size, the top of the flag is green, white in the middle and red stripe at the bottom. On the left side of the flag, there is a section with black corners. A Kuwaiti poet, Safie Al-Deen Al-Hali, describes the colors of the flag; What we do in White, our black battles, our green lands and our red swords.
Kuwait Flag Map
History of the Kuwait Flag
The first Kuwaiti flag, known as Sulaimi Flag, was seen in 1762. This flag was very similar to the current Bahrain flag. On the red floor of the flag was a white stripe with a zigzag on the side. This flag was used until 1871. Sheikh Abu Abdullah Sabah I bin Jaber has stopped using. Sheikh Abdullah II Sabah, thought they should use the Ottoman Empire flag. Thus, the ships going to Ottoman ports would be safe.
In May 1871, he decided to use the Ottoman flag. On March 17, 1901, Mubarak Al-Sabah and Abd al-Aziz took part in the Battle of Sarif and Mubarak Al-Sabah tried to design a special flag. But England, which thinks it would mean an early declaration of independence, strongly opposed the idea of a new flag. The Kuwaitis were offered to use the British imperial flag, but the sheik rejected the idea.
During the visit of Lord Curzon, the governor of India, in 1903, Mubarak Al-Sabah used a flag that had written “In God We Trust” on the red background. In June 1905, Britain offered to change the flag of Kuwait. Mubarak accepted this idea on the condition that he did not give up on the Ottoman flag. The crescent and star on the Ottoman flag were protected and the flag was added to the flag.
After Ottoman Empire
The Ottoman Flag fluctuated on Kuwaiti sky until December 14, 1914. On this date, the crescent and stars were removed from the flag, and only “Kuwait” was left. This process did not last much longer and the flag was changed again. In triangle shape, it turned into a zigzag like shape of Bahrain flag. On the horizontal way, ‘There is no God but Allah, and Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah’ was writing.
With the law adopted on September 7, 1961, the flag has become today. The new design uses horizontal lines and a trapezoid and this flag appears twice as long as its width. The flag is divided horizontally into three equal parts, green, white and red respectively. On the left side of the flag is a black trapezoid. The four colors that make up the flag were used by the Arabic poet Safi al-Din al-Hilli. Green symbolizes the land of the country, the white color symbolizes the country’s achievements, the red color symbolizes the enemy blood and the black color of the battlefields.
The national anthem began to be used in February 1978, written by the poet Ahmad Meshari al-Adwani, composed by musician Ibrahim al-Soula. On August 2, 1990, the Iraqi forces occupied the Kuwaiti and removed the Kuwaiti flag. Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein declares Kuwait as the 19th province of Iraq.
After Kuwait was liberated from the Iraqi invasion in 1991, the Kuwaiti flag began to fluctuate again in country skies.
Neighboring Countries of Kuwait
The country is located in the northeastern part of the Arabian Peninsula, on the Arabian Gulf.
Main Characteristics of Kuwait
Kuwait means the water-side fortress in Arabic. The country’s economy is advanced thanks to its oil reserves. Kuwait’s capital is Kuwait, the same name as the country. In addition to the official language of Arabic, local languages are also spoken. Most of the people speak English. The Kuwaiti dinar is used as currency.
Semi-tropical climate is seen. From April to September there is a very high temperature during the arid period. Weather conditions are better in winter.
The basis of Kuwait cuisine is rice, meat and fish. Almost every table has rice. Fish is also very consumed food. They use a lot of dates and rose juice in their desserts.
|Capital City||Kuwait City|
|Currency||kuwaiti dinar (KWD)|
|Highest Point||The Mutla Ridge (306 m)|
|Total Area||17,818 km2|